The Waxahachie ISD Board Policy requires that a student attend every class 90% of each semester or the student is in violation of compulsory attendance standards.
Students who are absent from school ten (10) or more days in a six (6) month period or three (3) or more days or parts of days within a four (4) week period are considered truant by the State of Texas. Effective immediately, students with 10 or more absences (excused or unexcused) may be placed on a Principal Plan to offset excessive absences. When this occurs it is the school district’s responsibility to file a complaint with the proper court against both the parent/guardian and the student. ** (3) tardies for 1st period in a four-week period equals ONE unexcused absence.
All students are required to make contact with the Howard JH Attendance Officer upon return to school from an absence.
Failure to submit proper documentation on any absence within THREE days of the absence will be marked unexcused.
- Illness - documented by an original note from the doctor, dentist, or school nurse, (2) parent notes per semester. All other parent notes will be documented unexcused but will keep you out of Truancy Court
- Court-related - documented by legal documents or court papers;
- Funerals – documented by a program, prayer card, or obituary from the service. *All others need a parent note.
- Documentation for excused absences must be turned in to the Attendance Officer.
- Documentation may not be accepted later than three (3) days from the date of the last absence.
- The attendance officer will collect all attendance notes during all three grade level lunchtimes. Your student simply needs to raise their hand and she will pick them up.
Upon returning to school, the note must have the student's name, ID#, date of absence, contact phone #, signed by the parent that describes the absence along with the length of the absence...ex. All-day, 5th-8th periods ONLY, etc.
Gay Brown, Attendance Clerk
(972) 923-4771 • 972-923-3817 Fax