Parent Involvement Policy
ROBBIE E. HOWARD JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL
School Parental Involvement Policy
2019 – 2020
Howard Junior High agrees to implement the following statuary requirements:
- Consistent with section 1118, the school will work to ensure that the required school level parental involvement policies meet the requirements of section 1118 of the ESEA, and each include, as a component, a school-parent compact consistent with section 1118(d) of the ESEA.
- School will notify parents of the policy in an understandable and uniform format, and to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand. The policy will be made available to the local community and updated annually to meet the changing needs of parents and the school.
- In carrying out the Title I, Part A, parental involvement requirements, to the extent practicable, the school will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports required under section 1118 of the ESEA in an understandable and uniform and including alternative formats upon request and, to the extent practicable, in language parents understand.
- If the school-wide program plan for Title I, Part A, developed under section 1114(b) of the ESEA, is not satisfactory to the parents of participating children, the school will submit any parent comments with the plan when the school submits the plan to the local education agency (school district).
- The school will involve the parents of children served in Title I, Part A schools in decisions about how the one percent of Title I, Part A funds reserved for parental involvement is spent, and will ensure that not less than 95 percent of the one percent reserved goes directly to the schools.
- The school will build its own and the parents’ capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership among the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- The school will provide other reasonable support for parental involvement activities under section 118 of the ESEA as the parents may request.
- The school will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and will carry out programs, activities, and procedures in accordance with this definition:
1. Howard Junior High will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development of its school parental involvement plan under section 1118 of the ESEA:
Send written invitations and calendar invite by email, flyer, school messenger, or social media: Facebook, Twitter, etc.
2. Howard Junior High will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement under section 1116 of the ESEA:
- Provide parents/guardians with the appropriate information: program purpose, practice, and procedures. Share initial actions, strategies, data, and new expectations in both English and Spanish.
- Review and edit Parent Compact, Parent Involvement, and Campus Plan.
3. Howard Junior High will hold an annual meeting to inform parents of the school’s participation in Title I (Part A programs). Parents will be encouraged to participate throughout the year. The school will convene the meeting at a time convenient for parents and will offer a flexible number of additional parental involvement meetings, such as in the morning or evening, so that as many parents as possible are able to attend. The school will invite all parents of children participating in Title I (Part A programs) to this meeting, and will encourage them to attend:
- Provide notices in English and Spanish
- Provide translator(s) for parent conferences, ARD’s, etc.
4. Howard Junior High will provide parents of participating children information in a timely manner about Title I (Part A Programs) that include a description and explanation of the school’s curriculum and types of academic assessments used to measure children’s progress.
- Send notes, letters, and flyers home
- Website verifications
5. Howard Junior High will, at the request of parents, provide opportunities for regular meetings for parents to formulate suggestions and to participate, as appropriate, in decisions about the education of their children. The school will respond to such suggestions as soon as possible.
6. Howard Junior High will provide parents and guardians information throughout the year.
- Course outline
- Assignment information
- District/campus grading procedures
7. Howard Junior High will provide parents and guardians with individual student performance reports on the State assessments.
- Progress Reports
- Report Cards
- District Common Assessments (DCA) and/or Benchmark Scores
- STAAR Scores
- Texas Assessment Management System (TAMS)
8. Howard Junior High will take the proper actions to provide each parent a timely notice when their child has been assigned or has been taught for four (4) or more consecutive weeks by a teacher who is not highly qualified within the meaning of the term in section 200.56 of the Title I Final Regulations (67 Fed. Reg. 71710, December 2, 2002).
9. Howard Junior High will provide login directions for programs so that parents can partner with their children to improve academic performance:
- TRS Website (Parent Access)
- Skyward, Pearson, Fusion
10. Howard Junior High will ensure that information related to the school and parent-programs, meetings, and other activities is sent to parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request.
This policy was reviewed and revised on September 26, 2019
Implementation will begin September 2019 and continue throughout the 2019 – 2020 school year.