The Waxahachie ISD Board Policy requires that a student attend every class 90% of each semester or the student is in violation of compulsory attendance standards.??
Students who are absent from school ten (10) or more days in a six (6) month period or three (3) or more days or parts of days within a four (4) week period are considered truant by the State of Texas. When this occurs it is the school district’s responsibility to file a complaint with the proper court against both the parent/guardian and the student.
** (3) tardies for 1st period in a four week period equals ONE unexcused absence.
?All students are required to make contact with Mrs. Workman, Howard JH Attendance Clerk upon return to school from an any absence.??
Failure to submit proper documentation on any absence within THREE days of the absence will be marked unexcused.?
- Illness - documented by original note from doctor, dentist, or school nurse, (2) parent notes per semester. All other parent notes will be documented unexcused, but will keep you out of Truancy Court?
- Court-related - documented by legal documents or court papers;?
- Funerals – documented by a program, prayer card, or obituary from the service. *All others need a parent note.
Documentation for excused absences must be turned in to Mrs. Workman, the Attendance Officer.
- Documentation will not be accepted later then three (3) days from the date of the last absence.
- Parent phone calls and e-mailed notes are NOT accepted as official documentation of student absences.
Upon returning to school, the note must have the students name, ID#, date of absence, contact phone #, signed by parent that describes the absence along with the length of the absence...ex. All day, 5th-8th periods ONLY, etc.